I barely wrote anything for the month of August except a few notes and postcards. It sounds like a huge transgression not to journal everyday when you're in one of the most popular countries in Europe. But I was busy dancing, partying, drinking wine, eating gelato and cherishing moments for the most part of the month. Nothing bad about that!
.jpg) |
| Kababayang Pilipino Cultural Performing Arts Group NEWBIES! |
Around a year ago, I made a decision to join a dance workshop. Amazing things happen when you get off your lazy ass to do something. Yes, things like finding yourself on a performance tour in Italy. I danced everyday at the
Latium World Folkloric Festival. Our schedule was hectic. Mornings were spent on preparations, make-up, parades followed by afternoon rehearsals then application of make-up again, after which, we get shuttled to other towns for another parade and performance. We performed in Rome, Fondi, Bassiano, Paliano, Velletri, Capri and Cori. It was during this tour that I saw the
Happy = High Energy Theory at work! We would sleep for 2-3 hours a day but we had enough energy to
Morning da Nayt (that means to party) after an evening show! I tried catching my z's on the bus most of the time. This is probably normal to touring professional performers but it's definitely new and wonderfully insane for a girl who once had two left feet!
 |
| Tourists everywhere in Rome |
 |
| Capri |
After the festival, three fellow newbies and I went on to Firenze, Bologna e Venezia! Our bodies had had enough of the craziness. We collapsed on the couch/bed and slept for the entire afternoon on our first day in Firenze.
 |
| A lovely corner in our 800 year old apartment in Florence (Firenze) |
On our flight home, I was finally able to pen down some thoughts and here are some of them:
- It is alright to be an introvert (I'm supposed to know this already but try being in a tour with 25 other people!)
- As an extension to point 1, get at least a few minutes of alone time before "diving into" the day and enjoy pockets of silence
- Balance points 1 and 2 with enjoying the company of others and learning from them ---FUN!
- Don't be lazy with photos ---debatable but when you're with a bunch of Filipinos, you'll be glad that you made an effort to pose well!
- Focus and calm yourself before the show
- Learning the language before going on a trip helps BIG time ---Yaay! It really made the experience better for me that I was able to understand many words and knew how to ask for things. Asking for dentifricio at a farmacia in straight Italian ... no problemo!
- Get lost and enjoy it
- Do what you're too chicken to do if you were at home --- For me, it's to bike in the city. I swear you will feel glorious!
And that's it for now. There's more stuff but they are for me to mull over. Ciao!
 |
| One of our meals in Bologna |
 |
| Venice |
No comments:
Post a Comment